Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Go Navy!

My thoughts this evening are with my brother in Virginia Beach.  Those of you that know him are aware that he has been in the US Navy since 1996.  About six weeks ago he was notified that he had been selected to become a Chief Petty Officer.  Advancement to Chief Petty Officer not only carries requirements of time in service, superior evaluation scores, and specialty examinations, but also carries an added requirement of peer review. A Chief Petty Officer can only advance after review by a selection board of serving Senior and Master Chief Petty Officers.  I am extremely proud of him as this validates all of his hard work and sacrifice. 

To commemorate the occasion, there is a pinning ceremony for all of the newly selected Chief's tomorrow.  My mother and father boarded a plane in Mobile this morning to make the trip to take part in this ceremony with their son.  I believe that my mother gets to actually "pin" him herself.  This is a momentous day for her as well because she had NEVER been on an airplane in her life before today.  (I'm happy to report that she did great!)  This also marks my father's first time ever to visit my brother in Virginia Beach, where he has lived essentially since he joined the Navy.  My parents and my sister-in-law will not get to see or talk to my brother until the ceremony tomorrow because he has to participate in some sort of initiation process this evening.  I can only imagine what that might be!

I really just want to take this opportunity to thank my brother for his service to his country.  I also want to commend him for his unwavering integrity and strong sense of family.  And for his strength because God knows he has that in spades.  I love you, brother!!

No comments:

Post a Comment